preoperative health status
Management of Patient with Renal Transplant
1. Defer treatment until primary care physician or trans- .
plant surgeon clears patient for dental care.
2. Avoid use of nephrotoxic druqs.!
3. Consider use of supplemental corticosteroids.
4. Monitor blood pressure.
5. Consider hepatitis B screening before dental care.
Take hepatitis precautions if unable to screen for
6. Watch for presence of cyclosporine A-induced gingival
hyperplasia. Emphasize importance of oral
7. Consider use of prophylactic antibiotics, particularly
for patients on immunosuppressive agents.
‘Most of these recommendations apply to patients with other transplanted organs.
In patients with other transplanted organs, the clinician should avoid the use of drugs toxic to that organ.