Mushrooms Medical Assignment Help

There are many poisonous mushrooms that can be confused with edible fungi and be eaten by mistake. Nevertheless, apart from transient nausea, vomiting and diarrhoea, which can occur with many species, very severe reactions are rare.
Fatal mushroom poisoning is almost invariably due to Amanita phalloides (the death-cap mushroom). This fungus contains phallotoxins and amatoxins, both of which interfere with cell metabolism. Toxicity is increased if the mushrooms are eaten raw, as some toxins are inactivated by heat. In general, the sooner the symptoms occur, the less serious the poisoning, depending on the type of mushroom ingested. Within 2 hours, nausea, vomiting, diarrhoea and sweating occur. After about 6 hours, patients complain of headache and dizziness, and severe vomiting occurs at about 12 hours. After 72 hours, the more serious complications of hepatocellular and renal failure may occur, which have a high mortality. The diagnosis is made by obtaining a careful history, with identification of the mushroom if possible. Amatoxins can be measured in the blood by radioimmunoassay. Treatment should include gastric aspiration and lavage and general support. There is some evidence that haemodialysis may be of some value.
Other mushrooms that are poisonous include:
FLY AGARIC (Amanita muscaria), which contains a little muscarine and other hallucinogenic substances
INK CAP (Coprinus atramentarius), which contains a dehydrogenase inhibitor with a disulfiram-like effect, producing flushing, swelling, a rash on the face and hands, and cardiovascular effects, particularly after alcohol
FALSE BLUSHER (Amanita pantherinai, which produces similar features to deadly nightshade because of its atropine-like effects.

Posted by: brianna

Share This